The Archivo de Indias is the third point of the triangle formed by the Cathedral and the Reales Alcazares and enclosing an area of monumental and architectural interest in the centre of Seville which was declared a World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 198. The building is home to one of the world's most important archives, with documentation about the colonisation of America from the time of its discovery in 1492 until the last Spanish colonies were lost in 1898.
The Archivo de Indias is a large square building, built at the command of Felipe II to end the abuses of the market traders who were accustomed to carry out their trading around, and at times actually inside, the Cathedral. The plans were drawn by Juan de Herrera who brought his architectural rigour to the southern capital. It was Carlos III, in the mid seventeenth century, who converted the building in an archive for American affairs. The shelves of Cuban mahogany hold 43,000 bundles of papers with over 80 million pages.
Address: Av. de la Constitucion, s/n.
Phone: +34 954 21 12 34.
© 2000-2008, HOLA S.A., Madrid – Miguel Ángel, 1 – 28010 – Madrid (España)